Monday, August 11, 2008

The Firing Squad


So I guess I should start with the fact that I got laid off on Jully 11th.  I have been with the same clothing company for the past 5 years.  It was my first design job out of school, starting out as an Assistant Designer and working my way thru Missy sportswear and dresses, to juniors dresses and sportswear...To finally designing a contemporary line.  Being the sole designer of a struggling line was scary, challenging, and sometimes enjoyable.  But I was working more than I'd like and it wasn't enough.  Then the lay-offs started, I should've seen it coming.  But I didn't think I would go.  Should've figured since I was one o the highest paid employees and I was 5 months preggo.  I'm sure they saw the maternity leave coming and figured it would not be short as I took a year off with my first born.  So I got the word from my superior and as she sat there crying I thought to myself, this isn't so bad...I have been trying to figure out a way to get out of this place for a while, I tried to quit twice in the last year.  Both times they talked me into staying and at least I got a big raise out of the deal.  Then she said the magic word..."severance"!  I would be getting a nice little severance, must have figured they owed it to me and eased the guilt as they laid-off a pregnant woman.  Who wants to hire a pregnant woman!?!  So she cried and I smiled and she says "you don't seem too upset".  Come on!  I get to hang out with Finnley before we have baby #2 and enjoy life for a bit.  I am no workaholic.  I know how to enjoy myself.  So I packed up my stuff and made a bee line for the door, never looking back.  See you later suckers.

No comments: